Sunday, February 28, 2010

And then there was one....

It has been two weeks since my last blog and I sure have a lot to fill you in on. First, after 12.5 weeks of carting all 5 of the Z pups plus Olive back and forth to work I had to cut the apron strings and leave the Z's at the facility. Olive of course continues to make the trek back and forth. It was not that the pups were too much work at home, it was more that I couldn't keep lifting the 35 pound pups in and out of the car twice a day! The Z's will be heading to puppy raiser homes soon but Olive will stay here with me. She missed having the boys to rough house with but the adult dogs here still play with her.

This meant that Olive is now 100% integrated into the adult dog pack. I enjoy having the older dogs model behavior for the pups. Olive has only had one accident in the house in the last two weeks. Of course, I have a doggie door so she doesn't have to tell me that she needs to go out - she just does.

Another important lesson she is learning is that sometimes she spends time in the crate during the day. With a service dog in training the pup is often with the handler 24/7. This sounds great but it could easily set a pup up for separation anxiety. In order to avoid this I try to be sure that Olive spends at least 15 - 30 minutes per day with out me. At this age that means in a crate, when she is older it will just mean in the house alone (well, with other dogs!). I count my blessings that I don't have to make time to spend with my pup but rather make time to spend without! I time these stints in the crate for when she is tired and I have something to do that would be easier without her. She really doesn't mind and usually sleeps the whole time anyway.

Olive is learning that the cats of the house are not to be chased. A simple..ah ahh is enough to stop her in her tracks.

She had her first Friday night happy hour this weekend. Every Friday we go to a local bar/diner for happy hour. Our group often has dogs with us so we are always known as "the dog table". She happily laid under the table and was unobtrusive and quiet the whole time.

Now that she has had her complete set of shots the field trips will increase.

Here she is with her kitty friends, Jelly and Bean.





Here she is in the office waiting patiently for Nettie to finish with the bone. Of course, there were plenty others but she wanted THAT bone!




Her very best buddy is Chrissy.








Until next week,

Molly and Olive






No comments:

Post a Comment